Tuesday, June 21, 2005

What defines you in an Interview?

Do you define your self thru work? Your Art? Your spouse? Your family? Your sense of perspective? Your ability to spin the story in a focused direction? Through the way you communicate with your friends? Should your writing(1) equal your outer speaking voice(2) or by your ability to observe(3) things happening around you. I think the triad formula is the answer.

Do you gage your sense of self by how much you talk or how much you reveal? I fear I don't reveal enough verbally. I certainly am reserved in that respective. I don't like to brag but I imagine in some ways the Interview is the forum, but it needs to be done with style, you don't want to sound like some prophet, then it might seem like you're just there to entertain them. Because one thing is for certain these are self examining times. Vices are an easy place to run to when I am not on point. I know even in an interview I do a lot of listening to people. Maybe too much. There is an art to listening as much as presentation. I read somewhere that an interviewer should do 20% of the talking. I am not sure this is right. My talking skills needs to be sharpened as I have been trying to add to my resume and not just read off of it. I like to be efficient when I speak. But maybe I should have a couple different scripts so I stay on point. I wish my writing were tighter; that is for sure.

Recently, I have been coming in with my own agenda: check list of typical questions HR questions and then some of my own. The anticipated interviewer questions are usually right on the mark. Those who have spent the time I think actually read/glossed my resume we were actually able to have a conversation. I've spent a lot of time combing it and finessing it, and customizing it for my audience. Granted not all interviewers are good interviewers. They want to be fed. In some respects this notion is correct. The phone has been ringing and one of the questions I have been asking my potential employers is how I have faired in their interview, and what are they looking for. Some are reluctant and some were up front. It's a "personality" mesh we are looking for one said but wouldn't say what kind. One gentleman told me exactly were I landed compared to the other candidates and that was very helpful. So this lead me to my first question of the day. Who am I?

I know I have the ability to adapt quickly to a new environment's culture. This is how I was brought up. Do people see this as a weakness or an asset?

How do you know your presentation of self is effective? What are the rules for giving somebody confidence in your abilities: suit, posture, eloquence, straight narrative, wishy-washy back tracking factor, balance of honesty. My first inclination as to the outcome of the decision process has to do with personality mix. Second, believability/ confidence factor, 3rd experience and 4th skills. My attitude, in the back of my mind, has been that the interview should have read my resume more than once for their wants need to be clear? I got an awesome company interview yesterday for this Agency that seems to want to nurture their employees, but will the 2nd interview come? Granted it was a sessioned tag team interview (where one person comes into the room at a time and then leaves--my terminology) I have also started to rate how I think their perception of my presentation went. Over all I give my self two out of three stars. Mostly having to do with an awkward start for one of them and them not knowing what the other person asked.

I am going to start putting more weight on the initial small talk, not just if it happens
or not but the way you respond to it. I think in the few interpersonal communication classes I took. This was discussed especially for high stakes interaction. There is so much at play when your on the other side of the table it can be unnerving and slightly madening.

The thing you don't say are also important. I've been told by one of my ex-supervisors that I am really laid back. In the sense that I am comfortable will be appreciated by some that but commented not everybody would. Ok so posture is good. But my gut tells me I don't want to be too over the top and stiff. The suite commands posture. I think my confidence might be deceiving me. I certainly like to be in the drivers seat and control the narrative my way. But what about others? What are the ones who land the gig doing or have done differently with their self presentation?