Tuesday, June 14, 2005

The Gathering of a doomed Nation

The nation is Gathering so they can romp freely like the buffalo on their continually expanding wifi networks. Somehow more disconnected. I only cared for less than two seconds if Jacko was going to get acquitted. A reasonable doubt leaves a lot of room for his high paid lawyers to show. Where were you when you found out? Is it possible for the mass migration to come full circle and away from this need to be connected? Are we doomed? Can you live without checking your email for a day or two? How many times a day do you check it? I used to have a rule BJS (before job search) that I did't even check personal email on the weekend, forget about work unless there was a pending deadline. People just can't help themselves, it's so damn easy, and a huge productivity distraction when not work related. I remember having a constant need to have my yahoo irc on way back when before friendster/my space etc. Much more important than work. I eventually just stopped and focused on work up until it became a useful work tool again and everybody had one. Oh Mr. and Mrs. Jones. Personally, I saw the light a few years ago in 01' and since have been working to enjoy my off-line time -- it's harder than you think. Give it a go.

Analog Living is evidence of my own corruption and human need to communicate; but that hour spent plugged into music while on a train or bus is priceless, the satisfaction of a well tailored lawn, the perfect barbq, the perfect blog entry, oh so many other things. Life has become so much more demanding and we're all guilty of forgetting how to live. In particular those of us living in metropolitan areas.

Ask yourself: Does doing things faster and immediately raise response expectations? Certainly the edicts' are scrupulous. I know I like to sit on email responses to make sure I am clear, while trying not to seem passive aggressive in my delay time. People appreciate good timing and manners. I know exercising the delete key is always a wise choice too. Now, put that into play and see how you feel.

No comments: